Social Security Disability

Social Security Disability Lawyer

Social Security Disability Lawyer

The Law Office of Gregory A. Hicks understands that obtaining Social Security Disability Benefits can be a time consuming, and at times, confusing process. Our office has the experience and expertise to guide you through this process toward a favorable outcome.

Gregory Hicks has handled claims before the Social Security Administration for over twenty years. Our attorneys have achieved successful results for claimants at all stages of review, including initial determination, requests for reconsideration, hearings before Administrative Law Judges and on the record reviews.

For your convenience, we have answered some of the frequent questions which clients have during Social Security Disability Claims. If, however, you have any questions or concerns about your claim, please feel free to contact our office.

Social Security Disability Claims Questions

What will you do as my representative?

As your representative, I will review your case and obtain any necessary documents, medical records or forms. I will obtain reports from your doctors, if necessary. Finally, I will forward all of this information to Social Security to help them make a favorable determination for you.

How long will it take for a determination to be issued?

It varies a lot. Unfortunately, dealing with the Social Security Administration and the Federal Government can be a slow process which requires patience from you. An attorney is crucial to speeding the process along and guiding you toward a favorable result. Using our experience and knowledge we are able to take steps to speed the process along that a disabled person handling a claim on his own would be unable or unaware of.

What happens when I get a denial notice?

The first thing you need to do is make sure that your attorney received a copy. Social Security frequently fails to send me a copy of the determination. Social Security has specific and set deadlines for when appeals and further requests must be filed. In order to ensure that you do not miss any of these deadlines, please telephone me when you get the notice of determination in your case to ensure that I too received a copy of the notice from Social Security. I will then send you the necessary forms to sign for appealing.

Will SSA ask me to see one of their doctors?

Sometimes SSA will ask you to see a private doctor who is paid by SSA for what they call a “consultative examination.” If you get a notice to go to a consultative examination, please telephone us to make sure we received a copy of the notice.

Should I telephone my representative whenever I see a doctor?

No. It is not necessary to telephone me about routine medical care. You should keep track of the dates of all medical treatment from now on. However, you should contact me if you see new doctors or are diagnosed with any new conditions.

Under what circumstances should I telephone my representative?

You should always feel free to contact our office with any questions. However, if one of the following things happens, please be sure to contact us:

  • There is a dramatic change in your condition – for the worse or the better.
  • Your doctor gives you a new diagnosis of your medical condition.
  • You start seeing a new doctor.
  • You are hospitalized.
  • You go back to work.
  • You change your address and/or telephone number.
  • Someone from SSA contacts you.
  • You receive any notice from SSA.

Will I have to fill out any additional forms for Social Security?

Sometimes SSA will send you a form to complete about your daily activities or symptoms. If you want to discuss a form with me before completing it, please call me; but here’s the advice I always give: Be truthful. Don’t exaggerate, but don’t minimize your problems either. Include plenty of details and examples that show your limitations, but don’t go on and on. Complete any form as soon as possible after you get it and send it to me. I’ll review it and forward it to SSA.

Should I send anything to the Social Security Administration?

No. As a general rule, do not send anything to the Social Security Administration without our office seeing it first. The only exception to this rule is if SSA asks you to sign medical consent forms or “Authorization to Disclose Information to the SSA,” you may sign them and send them directly back to SSA. I don’t need to see those.

Do I need to get medical records or reports from my doctors?

Not usually, but occasionally I may ask you to obtain the records from your doctor if it will move your claim along quicker